template for "use once" kanban boards?

Ric Lindberg

Im sorry if Im unclear in my question. Please ask and I will rewrite as needed to be helpful. (this is my first time posting here, nor is english my native language so assume its me, not you)

In most of the organisations I've consulted in we have seen this as a frequent behaviour like for example
"Oh, we just learned of the risk with Log4j"
spawning urgent needs for reporting and accomplishments through the entire organisations. 
IN PLURAL because it’s usually across teams, divisions, sub-brands, suppliers and vendors, shadow IT and other things that needs to be taken into into account. it’s not easy.

Whenever I recieve an emailed excel-document like this and I have the foreboding this work will grow quickly and the risks are high I think to myself that "Jira have a better way of working" than these email pingpong with document versioning challenges just because it turned mega-urgent.

Better meaning a transparent way to show status, risks, progress and activities. Than these great individual contributors struggle to do via email. Than these copies of data that gets out of date the second they were emailed and we end up in version dubts. And you would know who has knowledge in a specific area for eventual documentation of lessons-learned afterwards.

I was thinking if its possible to create a "template and a label" and upload a tailored-to-the-template spreadsheet.
One per such "huge-incident" and using that "label and a unique per case Kanban"?
or is this a stupid idea and is that why I don’t see people doing it?

Then from there on using the Kanban for communication instead of/with less email.
The process assumes that columns of more things to verify will arise urgently as investigations progress. There too I believe a jira-board would do better over an list of excel-documents.

yes I know with proper bitbucket inventories and other things this wouldn’t be a big thing. Sadly I believe it is, and recurringly so at many organisations so .
For simplicity I guess we would also have to assume everyone needed has permission to this board, which of course is a challange by itself but then again. if you procure services you are responsible for the suppliers effect.

I guess a workflow like this would have enormous impact on many organisations way of working, WITH the knowledge saved within the organisations for the future.
or am I just wrong?

its even possible to do something that would be as simple and reusable as this?

@Ric Lindberg This scenario is what Jira Service Management is for and also where you can have great use of Atlas.

So for automated alerts and for incident management, as in finding a vulnerability through Log4j for example you would create an incident in Jira Service Management, as per usual incident management. In The Flexible Atlassian setup I am writing, these come in as Master Incidents, since incidents can affect multiple systems and teams and a Master incident act as an Epic of sorts that hold all of them together.

From there we can automate or manually create incidents, or other issue types, in the various system projects in Jira Software. If the incident show larger issues that might affect multiple systems, then we can escalate the Master incident to an Enterprise project for processing on enterprise level.

In each Jira Project we can see incidents on the board and we can create a specific board only for incidents. Incidents are connected to the Master incidents and can manually be connected to related incidents as well to get the best overview.

On the Enterprise level, we put the Enterprise group to work to align work with external resources that don't have access to Jira and keep stakeholders updated by assigning them to the Master Incident in Jira Service Management through Escalation. All communication in comments posted in the incidents in each Jira project is automatically copied to the Master Incident to keep all information in one place.

As a bonus, we can add Teams or Slack support and create a dedicated channel for the Master Incident where everyone can communicate and solve the situation.

In the best of worlds, we also have a Confluence space for each system, with contact information and documentation on the system itself. We also use Confluence to create an incident report for the work, as well as add a note that will show up in the support portal if someone else wants to report the same thing.

If this is something that require time to resolve, like security patches, code deploys or hardware upgrades, then we can use Atlas to broadcast status for each system to all stakeholders. We can also create risk and additional work that might come up during the investigations. All new issues connected to the incident we also connect with relations to the Master Incident so we see what the source of the new activities are.

Once solve, we write an Incident Post Mortem in Confluence and a decision regarding follow up that might be needed, as well as link additional activities created if any.

The idea is that in Jira Service Management we should have the full overview of all incidents and also the full documentation of all incidents so it provides a complete overview of incidents within the organization.

Do you think that would work, or did I miss anything you need?

14 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

Once solve, we write an Incident Post Mortem in Confluence and a decision regarding follow up that might be needed, as well as link additional activities created if any.

The idea is that in Jira Service Management we should have the full overview of all incidents and also the full documentation of all incidents so it provides a complete overview of incidents within the organization.

Do you think that would work, or did I miss anything you need?

Thank you Jimi for a very quick and thorough answer.

it looks like I need to learn Atlas and Atlassian Service-Management
And see if those are available on my clients installation of these suites. How can I as a rather normal user verify that?

I also love that your process have steps for lessons learned into confluence or such.
I will have to bite into that as well.

• Love 1

The easiest way is to check the list of products by clicking on the 9 squares in the left corner. That list all products you have access to. If you can't see it there, then you don't have access. You can then ask the Jira system admins if it is installed, just to make sure it's not installed, but not visible to you.

image.png.9ce2909624124dc40417c9279f687da3.png